Gothic style long-case clock
Inlaid mahogany case, painted dial, glass and brass finial
"W.B. Cornforth / MACCLESFIELD" (inscr: on face, the insciption at some time has been overwritten, and misinterpreted as S.B Cornforth)
Presented to the Garrick Club by John Henry Gartside, 1903
This striking grand-father clock with fitted lunar movement has a case with inlaid designs, gothic arches on the pendulum door and pilasters either side of the face, leading up to two scrolls and the finial. The face has only one hand, but does have a second counter and date dial. The face and the rotating disc behind show painted rural scenes. Produced by William Barber Cornforth of Macclesfield, the painting on the dial dates the clock tothe early 19th century. There is some substantial damage to the left side of the plinth. Originally this clock was given to be placed in the "Great Hall", presumably now the area outside the Members' Lounge. This is where this clock was standing in 1922 when Hampton and Son's of St James's undertook their inventory.