Maria Theresa Kemble
Oil on canvas
Patie : The Gentle Shepherd
Height (canvas): 74.3cm
width (canvas): 53.3cm
height (frame): 91cm
width (frame): 71cm
1833 London, Queen's Bazaar, Oxford Street, "Mr Mathews's Gallery of Theatrical Portraits" (21)
1997 London, Dulwich Picture Gallery, "Dramatic Art
Theatrical Paintings from the Garrick Club" (24)
NT 37 pencil and watercolour on wove paper 34.95 x 21.75 (unfinished)
Patie, a male character, is the Gentle Shepherd, in love with Peggy. "He" holds a crook, and has a red and green plaid tam-o’-shanter with a green band and plumes, brown shoes with pink bows, white stockings, white breeches with blue bows, a long jacket in red and green plaid with a blue lining, and a red and green plaid cummerbund.
Allan Ramsay's pastoral poem was published in 1725. Tickell's adaptation, with music by Thomas Linley, was first performed at Drury Lane on 29 October 1781, when Ann Cargill played Patie. According to the “Universal Magazine” November 1781:
“The above Opera, written by Allen Ramsey, has been long and justly admired, but by those only whose knowledge of the Scottish dialect has enabled them to judge of its excellencies. That an English audience might become partakers of this entertainment seems to have been the laudable design of the Dramatist, Mr Tickel, in now divesting it of its numerous provincialities, grown almost obsolete, even in Scotland, at this distant period…
The characters were drest with a rustic simplicity, which tho' not exactly characteristic of the Highland manner, were perfectly Pastoral.”
Maria Theresa De Camp, who married Charles Kemble, played Patie for the first time on 8 June 1796, at Drury Lane.