David Garrick's ring
Enamel and gold ring resting in worn brown leather case with bleached red lining which contains two engraved silver explanatory plaques; ring 3x2x2.5; dimensions refer to case when open
"worn by David Garrick" (inscr. on ring); "This ring given by David Garrick on his death bed to his Butler whose executors sold it to Mr. Patrick (long connected with Theatrical Speculations) the Widow of whom sold it and hence it passed into the possession of Miss Burdett-Coutts 1865." (inscr. on upper plaque); "This ring once Mr. Garrick's is presented by the Baroness Burdett-Coutts to Mr. Henry Irving in recognition of the gratification derived from the Shakesperian Representations uniting to many characteristics of his great predecessors in histrionic art (whom he is too young to remember) the charm of original thought giving delineations of new forms of dramatic interest power and beauty - July 1876" (inscr. on lower plaque)
Presented to the Garrick Club by Lady Brunner, May 1995
1833 London, Queen's Bazaar, Oxford Street, "Mr Mathews's Gallery of Theatrical Portraits" (63)
1951 London, Tate Gallery, "Pictures from the Garrick Club" (43)
1997 London, Dulwich Picture Gallery, "Dramatic Art
Theatrical Paintings from the Garrick Club" (3)
June 2017 - September 2017, Lichfield, Johnson Birthplace Museum, "Johnson and Garrick: A Friendship in constant Repair"
October 2017-February 2018, London, Dr Johnson's House, "Johnson and Garrick: A Friendship in constant Repair".
The ring is mentioned in Austin Brereton "The Lyceum and Henry Irving" London 1903, p206