John Philip Kemble's shield
Circular copper and bronze shield with wooden back
"THE PROPERTY OF SIR HENRY IRVING / A circular shield, of silver gilt, in the centre of the gilt fulmen of Jupiter, executed from a design by Flaxman.
This shield, together with a helmet (now in the possession of Sir Squire Bancroft), was presented by the Citizens of Edinburgh to John Philip Kemble on his retirement from the stage. It passed into the possession of Charles Kemble, and from him to Mrs. Sartoris, she gave it to Mr. Henry Kemble, who in turn presented it to Sir Henry Irving./ (weight, about 104oz)" (text on paper label glued to rear)
John Philip Kemble; Charles Kemble; Mrs Sartoris, by whom given to Henry Kemble who presented it to Sir Henry Irving; sold by Christie Mason & Woods December 14th 1905 "The Collection of Theatrical Relics, the property of Sir Henry Irving" lot 27; bequest of Norman Phillbrick, 1987