Charles Morgan's Library Desk
Walnut[?] with leather top, embossed with gold edging, brass fittings and dominoe style button knobs
"THIS DESK WAS GIVEN TO / CHARLES MORGAN / (GARRICK CLUB 1922-1958) / BY HILDA VAUGHAN / ON THE OCCASION OF THEIR MARRIAGE / AND WAS PRESENTED BY HER TO / THE CLUB IN HIS MEMORY" (engr. on plaque on draw at verso)
Given by Hilda Vaughan to Charles Morgan on the occasion of their marriage; presented by her to the Garrick Club in his memory, 1958
A pedestal desk; the top has a gadrooned edge and there are three draws front and back. Each pedestal also has three draws on one side, but a cupboard with doors designed to look like three draws, on the other; this creates a symmetry between the two sides. The knobs, 36 in all, each have an inset domino of ivory.
Prior to Charles Morgan's marriage to Hilda Vaughan he had been sharing rooms in the Temple with Gordon Alchin. For the first nine years of married life from 1923 they lived in More's Garden Chelsea, close to the river, where Charles had a small writing room overlooking Crosby Hall, once the home of Sir Thomas More.