David Garrick's Chippendale stylechairs
Wood; red leather upholstery with copper studs; brass plaque
David Garrick; purchased from Mrs Garrick at the sale of her furniture at Hampton by the wife of A Singer, by whom presented to the Garrick Club, 1889
These two Chinese Chippendale Chairs with square backs, with open fretwork of Chinese railing on arms and legs date from the middle of the eighteenth century and were at Garrick's house at Hampton. They used to stand beside Garrick's painted Chippendale stool, which went on permanent loan to the Victoria and Albert Museum in 1975. In 1753-54 Thomas Chippendale moved his workshop to 60 St. Martin's Lane, just round the corner from the present Club House.
The chairs were repaired and recovered in leather by Mssrs Winter, at a cost of £6.15.6 in June 1889 [see minutes for Sub Committee]