height (frame): 52cm
width (frame): 43cm
This watercolour, ‘Demolishing the Boxes – the Old Vic,’ is signed by the artist, Helen Kapp, and dated 1950. It depicts the rebuilding of the theatre after being damaged in the blitz.
The doors had closed at the Old Vic in September 1940 at the beginning of the blitz and in May 1941, the building was hit by a bomb which blew out the outside wall of the rehearsal room at the top of the theatre.
For a decade, the Company was based at the Victoria Theatre in Burnley, the Liverpool Repertory Theatre, the Theatre Royal in Bristol (which is now the Bristol Old Vic), and the New Theatre (now the Noël Coward Theatre). After extensive rebuilding over that ten year period, the Old Vic reopened its doors on the 13th of November 1950.